Suggested Vitamins for Men
Vitamins for Healthy Hair
- As men get older, they tend to lose their hair for various reasons. The main reason is due to testosterone, but there are other reasons such as clogged hair follicles and lack of circulation. Biotin is a recommended vitamin for men who are concerned about losing their hair. Biotin is a B-vitamin that can be found in meat, eggs and nuts. A biotin deficiency can lead to hair loss. Vitamin E also is a good vitamin for healthy hair.
- Men can be stressed out by daily pressures. B-vitamins are beneficial for men because they improve the nervous system and fight stress. In addition, B-vitamins also improve energy and fight fatigue. Good sources of B-vitamins are meat, eggs, and nuts like sunflower seeds.
- Stress can also cause a man to have poor immunity, making them more likely to get colds and flu. Men also need immune-boosting vitamins like vitamins A, C and D. The immune system is a line of defense against viruses and bacteria. Vitamin A and C are found in carrots, and fruits like strawberries. Vitamin D is found in cod liver oil, milk and yogurt. Men also can get a daily dose of vitamin D by spending 20 minutes in the sun.
- If you need vitamins for specific reasons, consider trying to get them from food. Eating 5 to 8 servings of fruits and vegetables per day, in addition to lean meats, is the best way to nourish your body. If you want to get the most benefit from vitamins, be sure to keep your body hydrated. Most men need 8 to 10 glasses of water per day. Water is the transport system for nutrients. It carries vitamins, minerals and enzymes to cells.
- If you do plan to take vitamin supplements in addition to eating healthy, you should talk to your doctor if you are taking medications or have health problems. Whole food vitamin supplements are made from food, but synthetic-chemical vitamins can be dangerous in high doses. If you need high doses of a particular vitamin, educate yourself and get several different opinions. Many vitamins are safe when taken in high doses, but you should be careful with iron and Vitamin A.