How to Fix the Tension Pulley on a 1997 Ford Explorer
- 1). Release tension on the belt by using a socket wrench to rotate the tension pulley counterclockwise. Use your free hand move the belt off the idle pulley. Move the belt so it is not obstructing the work area around the tension pulley.
- 2). Use a socket wrench and appropriate socket to loosen the bolt in the center of the tension pulley. Note the placement of the tension pulley. Remove the entire tension pulley unit and set it aside.
- 3). Install the new tension pulley and thread the bolt into place by hand until it is snug. Tighten the bolt using a socket wrench.
- 4). Use the socket wrench to rotate the tension pulley counterclockwise. Slip the belt over the pulley. Make sure that the belt is properly seated on the new pulley. Release the tension pulley to tighten the belt.
- 5). Crank the engine a few times without fully starting it. Check to make sure the belt is properly seated on all accessories before starting the engine.