How to Convert an MPEG With AC3 Sound
Converting MPEGs with HandBrake
- 2). Insert your DVD; HandBrake will recognize it automatically. Choose which tracks or chapters you want to convert.
For other input file types, click the "Source" icon to locate your MPEG with AC3 sound in the pop-up window, and open in HandBrake.
- 3). Choose a preset file type from the "Output Format" list, or click the "Toggle Presets" button to choose from more options, including automated presets for portable media devices.
- 4). Choose your audio settings and video quality, depending on your needs. You can also set an estimated output file size if you know exactly how large or small you want your video.
- 5). Click the "Browse" button to choose your file's output destination and click "Start" to begin the conversion.
MPEG Streamclip Conversions
- 1). Download and install the free MPEG Streamclip program. Agree to the licensing terms and open.
- 2). Open your MPEG with AC3 sound either by dragging the actual file into the MPEG Streamclip box, or by clicking "File" and "Open File" to locate and open your video.
If opening a DVD, direct MPEG Streamclip to the "Video TS" folder and select the "VOB" file you want converted. (If ripping a feature-length movie, the largest VOB title will be the main movie.)
- 3). Once your video is loaded, click "File" and choose one of the output preset options.
- 4). Select your compression type and quality setting. Click "Options" to change more detailed settings.
- 5). Choose "Upper Field First" as your "Field Dominance," unless you are encoding your MPEG as a DV video.
Click "Make Movie" to begin the conversion.
Converting with VLC Media Player
- 2). Load your file into VLC by clicking "File" and "Open Files."
- 3). Click "File" and choose the "Streaming/Exporting Wizard" to begin the export set-up. Choose "Transcode/Save to File" and click "Next."
- 4). Choose "Existing Playlist Item," highlight your video in the playlist, and click "Next." Select your video and audio codecs, depending on your needs. You can re-encode your MPEG with AC3 sound as a WMV, DivX movie, AVI or MPEG, among others.
- 5). Choose an "Encapsulation Format" (VLC will automatically pick one for you) and click "Next."
Click "Choose" to pick the output video's destination and click "Next."
- 6). Review your summary screen and click "Back," if necessary, or click "Finish" to begin the conversion.